One of the main racing events of the Cheltenham Festival is the Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase, which takes place on the second day at Cheltenham. We bring you the ins and outs of the renewal at Prestbury Park.
Wednesday 15th March 2017 is when the Betway Queen Mother Champion Chase will be taking place and you can tune in and watch the sporting event take place live at 3.30pm on ITV1. Watch as the speedster chasers head into action in this Grade 1 chase, with a racecourse that’s two miles long and features horses aged 5 years and over.
Currently, the leading racehorse trainer is Tom Dreaper with a total of 6 wins, but Paul Nicholls is hot on his tail with 5 wins in the bag.
- 2016: Sprinter Sacre aged 10 with jockey N de Boinvelle – trainer was N Henderson
- 2015: Dodging Bullets aged 7 with jockey S Twiston-Davies – trainer was P Nicholls
- 2014: Sire De Grugy aged 8 with jockey J Moore – trainer was G Moore
- 2013: Sprinter Sacre aged 7 with jockey B Geraghty – trainer was N Henderson
- 2012: Finian’s Rainbow aged 9 with jockey B Geraghty – trainer was N Henderson
- 2011: Sizzling Europe aged 9 with jockey A Lynch – trainer was H De Bromhead
- 2010: Big Zeb aged 9 with jockey with jockey B Geraghty – trainer was C Murphy
- 2009: Master Minded aged 6 with jockey R Walsh – trainer was P Nicholls
- 2008: Master Minded aged 5 with jockey R Walsh – trainer was P Nicholls
- 2007: Voy Por Ustedes aged 6 with jockey R Thornton – trainer was A King
- 2006: Newmill aged 8 with jockey A McNamara – trainer was J Murphy
- 2005: Moscow Flyer aged 11 with jockey B Geraghty – trainer was J Harrington
- 2004: Azertyuiop aged 7 with jockey R Walsh – trainer was P Nicholls
- 2003: Moscow Flyer aged 9 with jockey B Geraghty – trainer was J Harrington
- 2002: Flagship Uberalles aged 8 with jockey R Johnson – trainer was P Hobbs
- 2001: cancelled due to foot and mouth
- 2000: Edredon Bleu aged 8 with jockey T McCoy – trainer was H Knight
So, who has won the Queen Mother Champion Chase the most times? Badsworth Boy managed a hat-trick for three consecutive years in the 80’s; 1983, 1984 and 1985. Barry Geraghty and Pat Taaffe have both rode their horses to victory a total of 5 times.