The Triumph Hurdle is a Grade 1 race that is sees horses aged four years and older taking to the 2-mile and 1 furlong racecourse during the Cheltenham Festival. The annual event sees the 8-hurdle race taking place on Friday 17th March at 1.30pm. This leading event in the National Hunt calendar is exclusive to juveniles and is the opening race on the final day of the festival.Having established in 1939, the event was initially held at Hurst Park in Surrey before being moved to Cheltenham in 1965. In the early years, the festival was dominated by French racehorses, as 6 of the first 7 winners were trained in France. The Daily Express was one of the first sponsors, then the Elite Racing Club took over in 1997 but JCB took over some years later in 2002.
Decade of winners
Below is the history of winners from the last decade;
- 2016: Ivanovich Gorbatov with jockey Barry Geraghty – trainer was Aiden O’Brien
- 2015: Peace And Go with jockey Barry Geraghty – trainer was Nicky Henderson
- 2014: Tiger Roll with jockey Davy Russell – trainer was Gordon Elliott
- 2013: Our Connor with jockey Bryan Cooper – trainer was Dessie Hughes
- 2012: Countrywide Flame with jockey Dougie Costello – trainer was John Quinn
- 2011: Zarkander with jockey Daryl Jacob – trainer was Paul Nicholls
- 2010: Soldatino with jockey Barry Geraghty – trainer was Nicky Henderson
- 2009: Zaynar with jockey Barry Geraghty – trainer was Nicky Henderson
- 2008: Celestial Halo with jockey Ruby Walsh – trainer was Paul Nicholls
- 2007: Zatchit with jockey Robert Thornton – trainer was Alan King
- 2006: Detroit City with jockey Richard Johnson – trainer was Philip Hobbs
Looking at the previous winners from the past decade, Barry Geraghty is certainly one to keep your eyes on as he has five victories to his name. When it comes to trainers, Nicky Henderson has had the most victories, with 6 first place wins since 1985.
Get the latest Triumph Hurdle Odds here